Monday, April 20, 2015

Got a new companion and a new area

Kia Ora! 

This week has been pretty good but not very productive for missionary work although I think I have come down with a small flu. We have done heaps of service for some of the elderly people like mowing lawns and one of our members Raymond Gallagher who is just returning we helped him put a weather station thingy on his roof and then we had a pretty good lesson with him and his wife who is not a member. Raymond has been to a lot of different churches throughout his life such as Scientology, Catholic, Baptist, Seventh-Day Adventist, and several other different churches but after figuring out that they were all wrong, decided to return to our church. We had a pretty good discussion about some of the other churches and found out some interesting things about them.

On Saturday it rained all day and I'm not even exaggerating, it didn't stop for even 5 minutes the entire day but we didn't end up leaving the flat because I came down with the flu ( I think) which is still bugging me a bit but I think I'll be fine, the members have been taking pretty good care of me.

I forgot to say something about this when we saw it but while we were headed to our bishops house we were hearing a loud speaker saying something that we determined was not English so we followed the sound till we got to this field and found one of the weirdest sports I have ever seen played exclusively by Muslims. Its called Kabaddi. I was going to try and explain the rules but I think it would be better if you guys went to Youtube and tried to figure it out on your own. 

I am going to go play some rugby with our Zone Leaders so that will have to be all for the week!

Love you guys!!!

Elder Mitchell
 
 
This is my companion Elder Maurice Otto from Vanuatu.
 
PS.  My companion is Elder Maurice Otto. He is from Vanuatu and he is so funny. He speaks English pretty well but it is his 5th Language (Bislamic, Ngunesse, Tannesse, French and English) so that's pretty cool. Cyclone Pam just recently hit his hometown but he has gotten in contact with his family and they are alright although one of their houses got destroyed. It is very cold here for him because it doesn't get anywhere near this temperature back home so he sleeps with heaps of blankets and jackets on each night and it has only gotten to 11 C which is only about 51 F. 

Rototuna is a well-to-do suburb of Hamilton that reminds me a lot of Farmington. There is quite a bit of money here and we get fed quite a bit by the members. We are double covering the area with a set of Sisters, Sister Taufa and Sister Kinikini they are both from Tonga. The ward does have a Facebook page but I don't know who runs it. We don't have a car so we have to bike or walk everywhere but whenever it is raining the members come and pick us up for church and other meetings. It rains quite a bit here in Hamilton and for instance on Saturday, it rained all day non-stop which flooded the shortcut we usually take to get to other parts of our area. Not much is happening in our area lately which is different from Tokoroa because we were always getting new people to teach and getting heaps of lessons each day but here we spend most of our time biking from house-to-house to see new people or less-active members.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment